How Do I Notify the IRS My Address Has Changed?


You don’t have to notify the Internal Revenue Service or file a form if you change your address online. You can visit the IRS website and use the “Where’s My Refund” tool to check the status of your tax return and refund all in one place.

What form to submit for an address change?

Form 8822 is used to notify the IRS of an address change. However, if you’re moving for one calendar year or less and don’t expect your tax return to change, no form is required. You can just let us know about the move by filing Form 8822-B when you file your next federal income tax return.

What should I do if I'm moving for more than one year?

You have to file Form 8822 if you are moving away from the address you are receiving mail for one year or longer. You can attach it to your next tax return, but remember that it’s essential to give us your new address and your old address.

What if I rented a post office box to avoid giving my residential address?

If you’ve changed mailing addresses more than once and the last change was within the past 60 days, submit Form 8822 to: Internal Revenue Service; Fresno, CA 93888 Attn: Address Change.

How long do I have to change my address?

There are no time limits for notifying the IRS of your new address. However, you must provide an accurate mailing address on your tax return if you’re expecting a refund or correspondence from us. Remember that we may need to contact you about your tax return and any related issues.

What if I don't have a permanent address?

If your only address is a shelter or transitional housing, use the address of the shelter. In addition, you’re still required to provide us with a residential or mailing address in case we need to contact you.

What if I'm deployed overseas with the military?

You’ll need to submit a signed written statement with your:

Full name, Date of birth, rank, Branch, type of service, Combat zone, or imminent danger pay exclusion code. New permanent address, including ZIP code. For APO/FPO addresses, including the country, if applicable. Mailing date of Form 8822 to Internal Revenue Service; Fresno, CA 93888 Attn: Address Change.

What if I'm assigned overseas as an expat?

If you’re an expatriate, include the name of your foreign country with your new permanent address, including the ZIP code. You can’t change your mailing address with us. It’s recommended that you use the U.S. embassy or consulate in that location to receive mail until your return to the United States. At this time, it’s essential to notify the Internal Revenue Service of your new address.

What if I don't have a mailing or residential address?

If you don’t have either a mailing or residential address, use the address of the local post office with which you file your tax returns. Remember that we may need to contact you about your tax return and any related issues.

What if I previously notified the IRS about my address but still haven't received a response?

If you filed a Form 8822 and you’ve waited more than 60 days for a response, call or visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center to determine what we may be able to do. If it has been more than 18 months since you sent the form, you’ll need to resubmit a new one.

Where can I get more information?

You can find out more by going to the IRS website and completing a search for address change.

FREE Consultation!

Don’t Let Your Credit Hold Back Your Financial Dreams.